Wednesday 22 April 2009

We Versus The Shark Tour Diary - The End

Fin (21/04/09)

If you've been keeping up with all of these posts, I extend my thanks for putting up with their sporadic nature and sorta light content. I have pictures to post and stories that are better told in person. We wake up at 5:30 tomorrow morning to fly out of Gatwick Airport; tour is over. I'm a little fried (see #18) and am unsure of how to wrap all this up. So instead of trying to write another neat, tidy piece, I'm going to end with something sort of special, and not all that tidy: an entry from my personal journal. Re-reading it, I feel a little trepidation about posting it online, and only note the caveat that the listing of accomplishments is more to get it on paper and remember it than to give myself a big pat on the back. And I guess when you're as self-doubting as I am, sometimes pride isn't always the worst thing in the world. Anyway. What the hell, here you go:

We are in London, Neil and Luke and Dawnie and Kat went out drinking, I still feel sick and am saving my energies for tomorrow. Scott and I are surfing the internet and scheming. Learning, researching, reading, listening to music. I hope I can follow through. I think the fact that we've been aching to get back to work on fucking around with musical instruments speaks well of all that.

Sitting on the internet for hours is weird, because talking w/ Spencer Seim sorta put me on this "I need to get the fuck off the internet" tip. Dude totally alienated himself (unintentionally) from rock world and just did his own thing, full speed ahead. And I don't wanna become a tumblr/twitter/blog cow, just taking in memes and information and farting them out, needing to stay up on things. But sitting here and reading Doseone interviews and listening to a Chris Cohen mixtape and watching movie trailers is so good, it's really nourishing, I have to admit. I have to admit it. I like it. Maybe in-between is the way to go.

Anyway I've been tripping out on my 25th year as a living person, I think it started around the time when Wiz and Rich from Blakfish were having their birthdays, and I started thinking about how this year has treated me. And then, setting up onstage for our last show in Luxembourg, Q and Not U's "No Kill No Beep Beep" came on the PA and it got me thinking about ALL of my 25 years as a living person. About listening to "No Kill No Beep Beep" in the cafeteria in high school with Garrett Wakefield, and Fugazi, too. (Fugazi wasn't there, we were listening to Fugazi.) And how weird it is to fast-forward from being seventeen and listening to Q and Not U and going, "oh, this is really cool, this is really interesting" through meeting Luke and Sam and noticing that they thought the same thing, and then tuning my bass guitar on a stage in Luxembourg at twenty-five, that's uh eight years later.

But the age of 25, this past calendar year, I:

Toured more than I ever have before (something like four months)

Travelled to foreign countries for the first time

Worked, so hard, on this big polished pop record (Psychic Entourage)

Got my heart broken (brutally, like high school)

Fell in love (with a friend)

Survived an injury and physical therapy (the wrist)

And other stuff. Still not a very good service industry employee, still not a very good writer. Getting better all the time, though. I think I've gotten better at saxophone. It feels good to go home to...well, let's see: shitty economic situation, but a girlfriend I am crazy for, and some musicians I wanna play with. It's pretty similar to the last few years, but with some alteration. I'm just getting better. I hope I'm getting better.


Jeff Tobias, We Versus The Shark. Blog courtesy of Flagpole Magazine: Colorbearer of Athens, GA Star Power!

No comments: