Thursday 21 October 2010

4 Or 5 Magicians: The End

4 or 5 Magicians was a band that existed between October 11th 2005 and October 20th 2010.

We just completed, what has become quite clear to me in the past few days and hours, our final tour tonight in Nottingham and I am now sad, but in a sense relieved that I am calling an end to the "4 or 5 Magicians" moniker.

I will be recording new material over the coming months (which I am very optimistic about!), and hopefully will be back with a new project and a more focused direction by next spring.

I am now 26 years and 6 months old, and it is a big shame that I wasn't able to make 4 or 5 Magicians work exactly how I wanted it to while I was still young and (slightly more) carefree, and hoped it could have done. The fickle nature of the industry is partly to blame, I am also partly to blame for perhaps not having more focus or drive, and making the occasional flippant or naive decision. This is something I can hopefully now rectify with a clean break, and a clean slate, free from any prejudice that goes with the name, and with the experience of it not totally working out for me.

I have had some good times, and some not so good times, but overall it has been an experience I have hugely enjoyed, and while it is a cliche, music is basically my life, and I will definitely carry on writing songs, and hopefully getting them out there to the widest audience possible.

My thanks go out to all the musicians who have played in the bands over the years, and the three labels that have helped us along the way - Smalltown America, This Is Fake DIY, and Alcopop. Also to everyone who has put us on, put us up for the night, bought our records, come to see us live, or anything like that - thank you.

If I can organise it, there will perhaps be one final show in London for the band at an unspecified date in the future where a number of past members get together to play an extended set of songs from the entire history of the band. I would definitely like to do this. Perhaps I will even keep the band going as a very occasional ceremonial band that plays special occasions once or twice a year as a couple of our contemporaries have done. Right now I am not sure.

But yeah, thanks for all your support, and I'll be back soon with a new project.

Bye for now,

Dan x

No comments: